Successful Concert in Ohio!
May 13, 2012
I just returned from Youngstown, Ohio, and a concert at Trinity UMC, on the wonderful, historic Moeller organ 1947/IV/89 refurbished and new console by Schantz in 1987. The organ featured beautiful solo stops and plenty of fire! The audience was enthusiastic and my hosts exceptional. Despite the hard work of setting up a complicated program on a big organ, it was a very enjoyable experience.
NEW CD AVAILABLE FOR SALE
April 25, 2012
NEW CD IN PRODUCTION
April 11, 2012
Technical work completed and my new CD "MUSIC OF JOY" is in production as of this evening. It is a collection of performance tracks from two performances celebrating my 80th year: Birthday celebration concert at The University of Nevada Las Vegas on May 6, 2011, and performance for American Guild of Organists Region IX convention at First Congregational Church, Berkeley CA - the same venue where I played my AGO competition winner's recital in 1952!!!!
The CD will be available from www.cdbaby.com in a couple of weeks. Details to follow.
Concert Music for 2011
September 21, 2011
My music theme for 2011 has been "Music of Joy" - all selections have "Joy" in the title or represent "happy" music. I thought it might be difficult to find these selections, but now I have enough for a second year of concerts on this theme! Currently, however, I am working on a re-dedication program. I originally dedicated the Reuter pipe organ at Nichols Hills United Methodist Church, Oklahoma City, in 1963. Now, after renovation and 48 years (!) they requested I re-dedicate the organ playing the same program. Fortunately, I still had the music! In addition to the original program, Nichols Hills will feature the world premiere of a piece composed especially for this event by Callen Clarke, "Meditation" for Organ and Violin with Kyle Dillingham, Violinist. This will be a celebration event and the opening work, Jeremiah Clarke, "Prince of Denmark March", will use the new trompette en chamade! If you're in Oklahoma City Oct 23, come to Nichols Hills at 4:00 PM for a great hour of music.
July 20, 2011
1. May 17, 2009, First Christian Church Las Vegas NV, three manual Allen Renaissance Organ, concert to celebrate my 77th birthday and a Memorial to my father on the 50th anniversary of his death. Program featured music by Buxtehude, Bach, Mendelssohn, Paganini, Reger, Kreisler, Dupre and world premiere of my arrangement of "Canzona" by my father, Roy Wallace Young.
2. June 25, 2009, Phoenix AZ, American Guild of Organists Region IX Convention, presentation of workshop "Performing in the Golden Years, Just Survive or Really Thrive".
3. Aug 28, 2009, First Presbyterian Church, Santa Barbara CA, for AGO on five manual Casavant organ: Bach, Reger, Saint-Saens, Messiaen, Langlais.
4. Dec 6, 2009, The University of Nevada Las Vegas, annual AGO Christmas recital on 3 manual Von Beckerath: Music from "The Nativity" by Messiaen "God's Children" and "God Among Us".
5. Dec 13, 2009, First Christian Church, Las Vegas, annual Christmas concert and pageant featuring choir, orchestra, soloists with Walt Strony, Conductor, and D. Riess on the Three manual Allen Renaissance organ.
July 20, 2011
1. March 22, 2010, "Words of Schweitzer - Music of Bach", Christ Church Cathedral, Las Vegas NV on the new four manual Schantz: J.S. Bach - "Andante from Trio Sonata III, BWV527."
2. May 16, 2010, AGO "Organ Plus", The University of Nevada Las Vegas NV on three manual Von Beckerath: Marcel Dupre - "Variations on Two Themes for Organ and Piano Op.35" and George Gershwin "Rhapsody in Blue" with Voltaire Verzosa on the piano.
3. Aug 29, 2010, AGO Santa Barbara, First Presbyterian Church, Santa Barbara CA on five manual Casavant organ: lecture-recital with music by Bach, Bossi, Howells, Wagner and Kreisler-Riess.
4. Dec 5, 2010, Christ Church Cathedral Las Vegas NV, annual AGO Christmas program; music by Karg-Elert.
5. Dec 12, 2010, First Christian Church Las Vegas NV, annual Christmas program and pageant, 40 voice choir, orchestra, soloists and Allen Renaissance organ.
July 20, 2011
1. March 10, 2011, Still Hopes Retirement Center, Columbia SC - program of Bach, Brahms, Mendelsson and Wagner for lovely audience of retirees on the new two manual Allen in the chapel.
2. March 11, 2011, St Andrews Presbyterian Church, Columbia SC - program of Langlais, Bach, Karg-Elert and Messiaen for American Guild of Organists and guests on the fine three manual Schantz pipe organ. Followed organ program with lecture on "Performing in the Golden Years, Just Survive or Really Thrive."
3. March 21, 2011, First Christian Church, Las Vegas NV - Benefit Concert for Japan featuring Vegas musicians: my selections - Langlais, Bach and Kreisler.
4. May 6, 2011, The University of Nevada Las Vegas - program of Langlais, Bach, Brahms, Karg-Elert, Schostakovich, Joplin and Messiaen for a capacity audience of American Guild of Organists and guests to celebrate my 80th birthday on the spectacular Von Beckerath pipe organ.
5. June 11, 2011, The University of Oklahoma, Norman OK - program by OU organ students old and new on the beautiful Mildred Andrews Boggess Memorial Organ in Catlett Hall: Langlais "Fete". What a privilege to play this glorious musical statement.
6. June 16, 2011, First Baptist Church, Oklahoma City - "dress rehearsal" of July program for selected friends on the big four manual Casavant pipe organ.
7. July 6, 2011, First Congregational Church, Berkeley CA - program for American Guild of Organists Region IX Convention for enthusiastic audience of 350+ on new four manual Petty-Madden organ in the same venue as my AGO Winner's Recital almost 60 years ago in 1952! Music by Langlais, Bach, Karg-Elert, Shostakovich and Messiaen.
Ready for the New Year
December 20, 2010
I'm taking a break from rehearsals for AGO and Church programs of the past several weeks and planning my concert work for the coming Spring Season. Effective practice depends on a well-functioning body and mind, so workouts at the gym are mandatory. Today is the first day of My New Year starting with good practice session before breakfast this morning and gym later this afternoon. Household chores and the ever present messy desk take the rest of my time. Happy Holidays to you all!
November 12, 2010
Welcome to my new website. This replaces the previous www.jdotpro.com
. Here are pictures, bio info, concert dates and personal reflections about music, practice, performance and many other observations. Enjoy!